Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I hate doctors

About a month ago, G broke out in bumps all over her elbows. It was the weekend, and fearing it would get worse (it always does, it seems), Wood took her to the walk in clinic. The dr there said that "this type" of skin condition occurs frequently in kids with asthma. He prescribed a topical steriod. The steriod did seem to make it better, but it never went away. This week, it started spreading out from her elbows. Then yesterday, they appeared on her face, and all along the back on one ear.

Today I take her in to our local doctor. I'm thinking a reaction maybe from one of her new meds, or sunscreen even. The dr takes a 3 second looks and declares the face/elbows to be reactive eczema and behind the ear to be sebborheic dermatitis that he thinks may be infected. Did I mention it doesn't itch?

He writes us three scripts - one steriod for the face, one stronger steriod for the body, and an antibiotic for the infection. I again ask if it could possibly be due to one of her meds? He says typically they don't cause skin reactions like this. Then I say I'm concerned about the amount of medications that she's on. With these latest 3, that will be 7. Yes, 7 prescriptions, 3 of them steriods, for a 37 pound barely 6 year old. He shrugs and says "sometimes it takes a lot to keep symptoms at bay". That's it, he's done talking about it.

You are telling me that my child, who has never had even an inkling of any sort of skin problem suddenly developed BOTH eczema and severe sebborheic dermatitis (in one isolated location) in the same week? And she needs to be on 7 prescriptions?

We've seen such good results from her latest drug change, but it has to be too much for her little body. I'VE NEVER BEEN ON 7 DRUGS AT THE SAME TIME IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! Am I the only one who thinks nobody is looking at the big picture???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you're not the only one. I think your doctor not only missed the big picture and it's frame, but isn't even in the art gallery! Seriously, Edie, I would want a second opinion from a dermatologist before I would put that many steroids on my child (especially a child that need steroids to control a different and truly life threatening disease!) G isn't exactly a normal child when it comes to reactions from what you've said, so the "these drugs don't NORMALLY cause a skin reaction" means dilly squat! Good luck figuring it out.

etmom said...

Thanks, Dani. I needed some validation that I wasn't nuts or completely overprotective or something.

From time to time, they think her issues could be a deficient immune system. These latest issues could also point to an immune problem. Or perhaps she's been on too many steriods and her immune system is just out of wack. She was last on sytemic steriods at the beginning of June. I tried to point that out to Dr. Nonchalant, but he thinks that was too long ago to be significant. Yeah, that's why the package insert says to inform your dr you were taking prednisone for the next SIX MONTHS TO A YEAR after taking it.

Everyone is always treating individual symptoms with G, but never looking at my entire child in a holistic way. It's frustrating.