Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Handling racism at work...

I'm the store manager for a large retail store. I'm frequently out on the sales floor, talking with customers, making sure we are providing great customer service, taking care of problems. Right before I left the other night, I was having the most pleasant conversation with an elderly gentleman customer. Initially, we were talking about the features and benefits of different socks (ok, I never said I had a facinating job....). He asked me how long I had been the manager at the store - he had known one of the previous managers, who had since been retired for about 14 years. . I told him 2 years. He asked where I was from. I replied "Detroit". This seemingly lovely man proceeded to comment on how I must be glad to be out of Detroit, with all the "blacks" there. How the blacks have run everyone else out of the city.

I replied, no actually, the thing I miss most about living in Detroit is the diversity. Oh, sure, he replies, diversity is good, but isn't it good to be away from the blacks especially? Now even the blacks are leaving the city, moving to previously good areas because even they don't want to be with other blacks (Huh???) Blah, blah, blah. He totally expected me to agree with him, he'd stop and say "you know what I mean?"

Can we go back to discussing the socks?????

Ok, going to relay on the forum standby......
"uh, no, actually I don't - why do you say that?"

Ok, that was a complete flop. Because now he's going to explain the problems with the "blacks" in detail. Mental note - NEVER "ask why do you say that?" because THEY WILL TELL YOU!

At this point, one of my associates has caught the about half of the conversation, and is completely frozen in place, for once I'm not the one with my jaw hanging open - literally, his was. Probably because he can see the steam coming out of my ears.

Thoughts racing......I can probably get fired for going off on this guy...can I kick him out of my store??? .but it IS my obligation to keep my workplace free of harrassment of any sort, including associates, vendors, customers, etc.

"I'm sorry, but I really don't feel that way at all. And furthermore, our company, "big retail", is committed to diversity of it's customers, associates and management and we won't tolerate those kind of comments in our workplace I can have ____ associate here ring up your socks, but I won't continue this conversation with you and ask that you refrain from these kinds of comments in the future."

Isn't it sad that I'm getting better at this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, very sad. But you did so well. I'm afraid I would have slapped him.
Oh, and I agree about the "Why do you say that" response... that only works on people who actually DON'T want to be racist pigs and just need to realize that the comment was, in fact, racist. Say that to a racist pig and you've just open the ugly pit, I mean, their mouth.

Kari said...

Bummed to hear that happened to you, but kudos on how you handled it! You are a much more tactful soul than I think I would have been at that point. Glad you took a stand and hopefully it will make him think.

Leslie said...

Totally sad. But I do think you handled it well, making it clear you didn't agree but still maintaining a professional manner.
With some people, it really is best to never let the conversation stray beyond topics like socks! Ugh.