Friday, July 18, 2008

Hair night

A's hair is suddenly not staying in a style more than a week or so. The last set of small twists I left in a bit over 2 weeks, but they looked horribly fuzzy the last week, and I had a very hard time getting them out - they were beginning to loc.

After I took the twists out, I wanted someting that would last, and I put a few dozen braids in her hair. It's only been a week, and they were just a mess of frizz. I'm thinking it a) could be the humidity, or 2) she has broken hair or new hair growth that is just falling out of the style.
So I took out the tiny braids while she was playing in the tub tonight after work and put it in a quick style. She loves it - she says she looks like a ballerina!

What gorgeous thick, curly hair!


Our new ballerina look!!

Daddy says she looks like Princess Leia from Star Wars...

Zig zag parts because I've really been overusing the middle part in the front and in the back.

Update on M's and B's dad - he is continuing to recover at an extremely rapid rate. They are anticipating a fully recovery at this point. What wonderful news!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

She looks just beautiful! (as usual). How did you do that with her hair?? You must share!

etmom said...

Leslie, it's a really easy hair style- they start as two ponytails.

- Divide each ponytail in two, comb each half until they are REALLY smooth and use a lot of gel until they are slick.

- Twist the two pieces together - a regular two strand twist.

-When you get to the end, continue to twist the entire two strand twist until it wraps around and makes a circle (knot) around the orginal ponytail band.

- Tuck the ends of the two strand twist under your original ponytail band

- If it won't stay wrapped around the original ponytail band, take a cloth pony-o and put over the tail of the two stranded twist and over the ponytail band overnight, until the gel dries.

I've seen these referred to as a form of zulu knots, which can be done over the entire head, especially when they have shorter hair.

I took out the small braids in the tub with a TON of conditioner over the braids. As soon as I rinsed the conditioner out, however, all the curl in her hair was instantly gone, and what was left was thick, tight, kinks.

To make the hair easier to work with, and to get the curl back, I used Redkins Smooth Down Butter Treat as a leave in (it's not a leave in, but I've used it that way before) before the hair style. Her curl bounced right back. I might try putting that in sometime and leaving her hair free as it dries, to see if that will give her more defined curl. The change I saw in her hair yesterday using it was just amazing. I'd used it before, like a year ago, and I didn't see much happening, so I threw it on a shelf. Now that her hair is longer, it really weighs down the hair and pulls the curl down nicely.

BTW, I showed my hubby pics on your site yesterday of your daughter. As he was walking up to the computer, he really thought it was Miss A - the hair, the look, and the attitude!

Leslie said...

Thanks for the instructions!
I took Kisae's twists out yesterday, then showed her your photos of A. She said she wanted her hair like...the one of A. just out of the bath!

I ended up doing two ponytails. I was going to try this idea, but Kisae got upset that I wasn't doing twists and beads. So we just left the ponytails with plans to revist.

Today she said the ponytails would be okay for three days. Funny kid.