Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Famine in Ethiopia

The drought this year combined with rising food prices has considerably worsened malnutrition in Ethiopia.
Doctors without Borders and the UN are increasing their aid to Ethiopia during this crisis.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/06/ethiopia_in_food_crisis_once_m.html

One of the areas hardest hit is the area that A is from, the Kembatta Zone of the Southern Nations, Nationalities and People’s Region (SNNP). Shashemene, where much of the reporting and heartbreaking photos (including those above) are emerging from in the national news about the worsening food crisis, is just 5 miles from the tiny village where A was born. A still has family in this area, who were significantly suffering even before this situation worsened.

Pray for those who are hungry in Ethiopia.

Lord, even though I do not understand the reasons for suffering, I believe that you are a God of love, a God of compassion. I pray that you will be with all those this day that are in pain, who suffer silently and alone, who feel abandoned and left by the side of life’s road. Wrap your arms of grace around them, until they know they are safely held in your embrace.

And, I pray, that you will fill my heart with the same compassion, and give me eyes to see how I can assist those in such great need. I ask this for the sake of your great love. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen & Amen