Tuesday, June 17, 2008

unnerving...

I had my ultrasound appt first. I could see the woman zeroing in repeatedly on a round spot on the ultrasound screen. The area looked large, but obviously it WAS magnified. It appeared to be next to the clips that was left in in December. The ultrasound went fairly quickly. Then she said that because of my history, the radiologist wanted to review them before I left. I waited and waited. Almost 30 minutes later, she came back in and said I could go. She said that the radiologist had called MRI and told them that I was on my way. They, of course, wouldn't tell me a thing.

Usually, they just make sure they have readable films and let you go. They were reviewing the films for longer than I had been receiving the ultrasound.

When they let me go, I wasn't late for my MRI appt, or even close to being late. There really seemed no need for them to "call ahead" and let them know I was on my way. I actually arrived there 10 minutes early. Or were they calling to let them know to focus on something specific?

Or is this just a sign of high anxiety and an overactive imagination?

Oh, and I will never do another MRI without a mild sedative. I skipped it this time because I needed to get back to work immediately afterwards. Laying in a coffin like tube, face down, in the most uncomfortable position (my ribs are still aching) for 25 minutes while you are in a state of high anxiety anyways is too much for me, I think. Your face goes into something that resembles a face thing for a massage chair? This time, however, they covered the vinyl parts with a blanket. I felt like I was suffocating breathing in and out into this blanket and it got HOT. I was desperate for fresh air. My arms were held over my head, like I was diving, with an IV in one arm for the contrast. Uggh!

No comments: