Sunday, June 8, 2008

Our Applebees experience

the other day continues to bother me immensely (see Friday, June 6th post). Wood and I didn't react fast enough to the comments the man made to A about her skin color. While both Wood and I believe we should have responded quickly, we disagree about "why". Wood feels that, given the older age of the man, that he is unlikely at this point to be "educatable" and he wouldn't have "gotten" what he said wrong. He feels the only point in responding is for our daughter. I feel the main purpose in responding is also for the benefit of our daughter, but also to let him know his comments and his intrusion on our family dinner was rude, racist and unwelcome, to say the least.

The incidents we have encountered since adopting A are significantly changing my opinion of other and the world around me. I don't think the change is for the better. I feel somewhat bitter, angry and can see how I'm starting to view all people I don't know with a level of suspicion. Some people I try to talk to about it just don't get it. One of the greatest luxuries afforded by white privilege is to be able to say, "I don't need to worry, discuss, be concerned or be educated about race because I am white. I just concern myself with one race - the human race."

No comments: