Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Overjoyed....

I can't even begin to describe the relief that Wood is back among the employed. It wasn't just the stress of him being off work. The emotions with him loosing his job due to racism and the color of our daughter's skin are beyond words. Still. Honestly, that was something I thought just didn't happen these days. How wrong I was.

Yet I know that we have gotten but a glimpse of what it means to be black in America. We still benefit from "white privilege" most of the time, interspersed with isolated incidents of racism and bigotry towards our family.

I don't think I will ever look at this issue the same again. There is much work to be accomplished toward achieving the equality that MLK Jr. so eloquently spoke of. And it is a fight that intimately belongs to us, as individuals and as a family, and that we will be actively involved in. We cannot sit passively and "hope" for change. What happened to us shouldn't happen to ANY family.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you guys! what wonderful news.

Has it gotten any warmer up there?

etmom said...

It was 49 degrees today, If you can call that "warmer". I've never seen such a cold spring!

Spark

Leslie said...

Um, no, I do not call 49 warm or even warmer!

But then it's nearly midnight and still in the 70s here....

Kari said...

Congrats! So happy to hear that he got the job. YEAH!!! One less thing to stress over.

And, I love hearing and reading of your conviction to fight the way our kiddos are treated. It reminds me every day that I refuse to allow things not to change. Thank you for inspiring me!