Thursday, January 31, 2008

Can they hear me?

Dr's appt yesterday. He appeared to listen to my concerns about the type of surgery I could get up here, and the type that I really wanted that isn't available up here and I'd like to have it done elsewhere. Then, he proceeded to tell me, that he ALSO thought I needed to consider having my ovaries removed. Gave me statistical numbers about amount of years added to survival after having this done at age 35 with my particular issues and risk factors (umm, I'm older than that already). Somewhat in shock, I tell him "wow, that's a bundle of surgery you are recomending" I told him I had reservations about being thrown immediately into menopause. He responded "you aren't having any more children, are you? So you might as well go ahead. I don't see why you would even hesitate". Yup, we can get rid of any body parts that aren't currently being used. Am I really using BOTH kidneys?????

Then, he tells me that he thinks I've been reading too much, and have too many options in front of me, that I need to go back to the local surgeon and reconsider having the mastectomies done here. That I'm giving myself unecessary anxiety. Ok, you've just signed me up for 3 significant and major surgeries and you think I have unecessary anxiety????? I just don't think they hear me. I'd bet he'd ask questions too, if it were his life, his surgery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doctors... grumble grumble. I bet if you wanted to cut off his testicles and remove his prostrate (he's not using them, right?), HE would want ask a TON of questions!!
Anyway, I'll be praying that you can find Drs who DO listen and can help you make the right choice.

Anonymous said...

Arrgh! I think all of my body parts are necessary...(except a few inches around my waist)
I'm still praying.
Heits

Kari said...

Edie,
You hold your ground on this one! I agree with Dani, if you were talking about taking parts that were important to him, he would change his tune!

So sorry to hear that you are having to fight to get what you think you want to have done at this point. Please know that we are thinking of you and here for whatever support you need!