Thursday, January 10, 2008

Biopsies are done

But not as expected. The areas that they needed to biopsy were very near the breastbone, and deep against the chest wall. I'm relatively small framed and well let's just say I'm not well endowed - at all. As we got underway with the MRI procedure, they were very concerned that due to the location, they could puncture my lung. That did wonders for my anxiety level. They scratched the procedure and took me to another room in another part of the hospital where they attempted the biopsy with ultrasound guidance. But they were only able to access 2 of the three areas. I will probably be able to get my pathology results on Monday, but I don't know what they intend to do about the third area. The radiologist mentioned the possibility of needing a surgical biopsy.

I'm sore beyond belief - the radiologist really had to use a LOT of pressure to get back to the chest wall for the biopsies, and I had two, instead of the usual one biopsy. I really didn't expect to feel this sore and beat up.

I feel great relief to have it behind me. I was told IF the results are not cancer, then I will need to have a follow up MRI shortly, then another one a few months after that to make sure that it is indeed benign. Which makes me wonder how comfortable they are with getting a benign pathology report. Or perhaps it was just that the area was so hard to get to, that their is a higher than normal possibility that they actually missed the area? They did leave several microclips behind to accurately mark the areas that they did biopsy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad they are done. I've been praying for you all morning.... will keep it up.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're so beat up, but I'm glad this part is done. I'm praying for good news on the biopsy. Heits

Angela :-) said...

Prayers,

Angela :-)