Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pool pics

More pics from our Milwaukee trip. I wish I had some pics when we went to the Betty Brin Kids Museum with Sarah and her wonderful family - husband Jeff and kids Seth, Thad and beautiful baby Hannah. But I left my camera back at the hotel room!

In Milwaukee, I saw little girls with such beautifully done hair - my efforts with A's hair simply pale in comparison. Moms ask all the time on the hair board about swimming with kinky curly hair. They express that they don't want their children to be the only ones who have to wear a swim cap. They don't want them to stand out or feel "different". I used to make both the girls wear a swim cap, but now only A does. G doesn't really need to, and it didn't seem right to make her wear one too. A wears hers without complaint - it's just part of taking care of her hair, like a sleep cap. But it was very affirming to her to see all the rest of the AA little girls in the pool all wearing their swim caps too.

It was wonderful to be in a slightly warmer climate - yes, Milwaukee is "down south" for us. It is still quite cold here - no leaves on the trees yet, no need to cut the lawn yet and it has still been in the 40's. It snowed here on Sunday. Just flurries, but still. At work, we are already clearancing out the summer clothing, to make room for the fall stuff. Hey, we haven't even had SPRING here, people!

I worry about G endlessly. I had a very anxiety ridden pregnancy with her, and that anxiety extended to her infancy. I have always had the sense that she was meant to be mine for a short time only. She's the only one of my kids whom I've felt like this. Her mind is absolutely incredible - her intellect is astounding. But physically she seems so fragile at times. Swimming is good for her. Her doctor in Milwaukee told us it would be great if she could swim 10 days a week. She's still trying to figure out how you can swim 10 days a week if a week is only 7 days!!!








1 comment:

Angela :-) said...

"have always had the sense that she was meant to be mine for a short time only."

Oh, Edie. That makes me sad. I totally believe what you're saying, though I'm sure some would judge you for it.

Angela :-)