Saturday, November 22, 2008

hair and other ramblings...

I REALLY need to do A's hair today. I last did it the weekend before Halloween, so it's lasted a good long time. A asked for small, individual braids last time, which I rarely do. Why? Because I hate taking them out. They take absolutely forever to take out - about as long as they did to put in. And then, I still need to do hair after I spend a few hours taking them out.

I feel I should have a better attitude about doing hair and not dread it sometimes. This time of year is tough - I have to work at least 8 hrs today (Saturday), and about 6 or 7 hrs on Sunday. And still find about 4 hrs somewhere to do hair. I'm finding work increasingly unrewarding - retail is really a brutal contact sport. But I do look forward to working incredibly hard, motivating my team, and that elated feeling when we really nail a major event. The hard work and stress has a purpose. But these days, all the hard work and incredible energy, and doing more work with less employees, is rewarded by....total failure. It's hard to play the game when you know there is almost no chance at all to post a win, to meet a goal. Must be how it feels to be the Detroit Lions :) If the goals are not met (which are set at the beginning of the year), I'm rated a below expectations, or a far below expectations on my performance review. There are no exceptions - the plan is the plan - period. 3 below expectations (rated every 6 months) and you are replaced.

My house is a mess, I'm hopelessly behind on laundry. The laundry that did manage to get done (by Wood, not me!) is piled on the furniture in the family room. We have overdue library books and videos from the video store. The kids have a birthday party to go to today, and I remembered to get a present, but not anything to wrap it in. I feel like everyone else can manage their household, just not us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you have company! My clean laundry is on the floor with my dirty laundry. I believe Thing 1and Thing 2 have visited my home, because the piles are now well mixed.
I have 25 guests coming for dinner Thursday. I'm wondering if I can rent a dumpster before then.
Blessings on your holidays. I know for people in retail, the blessings are more apparent after the holidays.
Heits

Christina said...

Company here as well! I just did a post a while back on how we couldn't seem to get on top of anything. We haven't slept in our bed for a week(!) because I piled all our dirty clothes on top of it and said we weren't allowed to sleep in it until it was all done. We're still sleeping on the floor. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I'm so sorry things aren't picking up in retail. Is it any consolation that others in your position are probably struggling with the same things? Surely a company can't let lose all of its management if NO ONE is able to meet goals... Hugs to you; I hope things pick up soon.