Saturday, September 20, 2008

another son?

Our family is supposed to be complete. We have 4 children ages 21 down to 4 years old. We have 2 in college, 2 in very early elementary and are still recovering from Wood's recent prolonged period of unemployment. Another child doesn't logically make any sense. People would think we were off our rocker (well, really, they thought that when I announced I was pregnant with G, putting a 13 year gap since her older brother was born. When, exactly, did it become "ok" to ask "was it planned??")

But I feel we are being led in this direction. Strongly. And the son I see is about 6 or 7. Out of birth order. I don't know how we would pull it off, but yet I still feel we are being asked to follow. We didn't have the money for A's adoption either, but we trusted God to help us. Shortly before we traveled, a friend from church mediated an ongoing property dispute we had with a neighbor. He negotiated a sale of a portion of property for market value- which turned out to be the EXACT amount we needed for the adoption.

This time, however, it seems like a larger leap and I'm having trouble trusting with such certainty like I did last time. Problems of "this world" have hit us pretty hard over the past two years. But that's not where I put my faith - in the things of this world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Edie that's exciting. I know you all have been through a lot lately, I'm glad to see you haven't given up on your dreams. Have you considered using WACAP? They are just starting their ET program, but so far I have only heard good things (they are top of my short list for an ET agency when we're ready again). They really focus on placing hard to place children and offer huge grants to help. For a boy over 5 from ET, they will cover the adoption fee (you still pay homestudy, USCIS, and travel) AND they work with you to help cover those cost too. Seriously, check them out. Also talk to Crystal on the forum... they are using them for their second adoption.

Leslie said...

Well I never thought having children was a decision really made from any practical, real-world place anyway. If you feel like there is a place in your family for another child, you should hold tight to that. You have had so much to deal with in the past year -- but that doesn't mean things won't calm down and even out in the coming year. And with a little time, adding one more kid to your family may seem like it makes perfect sense.
I wish you all the best as you think about this, and I'm excited for you.