Saturday, December 8, 2007

Racism...

"It demands great spiritual resilience not to hate the hater whose foot is on your neck, and an even greater miracle of perception and charity not to teach your child to hate."
---James Baldwin (author)

Our family experienced an incident this week that shook us to our core and turned our lives upside down. I trust that God has a plan for us, a purpose to come out of this. It's just very hard to see right now. I'm cognisant of the fact that our actions now are important - to show our children the importance of standing up for our beliefs, model our response to those who show ignorance and racial intolerance. Regardless of the cost.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness. I'm so sorry for whatever happened. It must have been horrible (well, racism always is). I'll pray for strength and wisdom for you and your family.

Kari said...

Edie,
I too am so sorry for what happened. I can't imagine how bad it must have been to leave you feeling this way. You will continue to be in our thoughts

Anonymous said...

Edie,
I am so sorry your family experienced this. I have learned so much about racism in the last year. What a plague!
Heits

Mama Papaya said...

You are in my thoughts.

Stacy said...

Edie .... I am thinking of you and your family and wishing you a world of strength and resilience. We know you have it. Take good care.