Wednesday, July 15, 2009

About my dad.....

I wrote some time ago about the brain infection my dad had late last winter, triggered by his powerful Remicade arthritis drug, which suppressed the immune system. My dad, still never fully recovered from his lengthy illness, and compounded by worries that as a GM retiree that he would lose his pension/medical benefits with the recent GM bankruptcy and would go broke with medical bills, decided to take his own life.

It is very difficult to think of someone you love completely losing hope and feeling that this is the only option left. It is alarming to feel that perhaps he was not even thinking clearly, as his illness caused erratic behavior.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been made, as his body has not yet been released by the Medical examiner due to the nature of his death. Just home yesterday from Milwaukee for G's appts at Children's hospital, we are headed downstate this afternoon.

7 comments:

Christina said...

Edie, I'm so sorry to hear this. Wishing you and yours peace during this time.

Bonnie said...

I'm soooo sorry to hear this.

Anonymous said...

Oh Edie,
I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy. I'll pray for you and your family.
Heits

Kari said...

Edie my heart aches for your family. I am so sorry to hear this. Please know you are in our thoughts.

Stacy said...

Edie, so sorry about your dad.

Dani said...

Edie, I am so sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

D said...

My thoughts are with you and your family.