Friday, January 16, 2009

35 below zero....

This is our second day where wind chills have been this cold and schools have been closed. The entire week has been frigid. This winter has been brutal this year - the worst since we moved up here. We are about 60" above normal for snowfall this year. At this rate, we'll end up well over 300" for the winter season. It's getting to the point that is is very difficult to see around the corners at intersections - the snow is that high that you are not quite sure if traffic is really clear or not. Folks are having to dig their mailboxes out - the snow is high enough to cover them completely.

I am so sick of being cold. At work, I have only 2 heated mattress pads and 6 electric blankets left in stock for the season - they have just been flying off my shelves. However, we have plenty of shorts, capris and summer tops, just landed for spring. Guess the corporate buyers at our headquarters in Texas need to spend some quality time up here - we won't need shorts until late June at the earliest. In these tough economic times, who is going to spend money that is tight for clothing that you can't wear for a solid 5 months??? Meanwhile, all winter apparel is on deep, deep clearance, and my customers are snapping up great deals like infant/toddler separates for $1.18 each, kids winter coats for $8.98 and Women's sweaters for $5.99. I bought the girls about a dozen pair of jeans yesterday - they were $2.98 each, and cute tops that were $1.78 each. Those prices were BEFORE my employee discount. All of our clearance is an EXTRA 40% off the lowest marked price. I don't think you can shop at thrift shops for those prices. Deals abound - if you haven't been to the mall lately, it's definitely worth checking out to stock up for your family.

Now, the important stuff....

My dad is stable - no change and he hopefully will have the CT scan in the next day or so, followed by the repeat spinal tap. We continue to pray and have hope that the dr's can identify and resolve this crisis.

I have become a regular at daily Mass in the past few week, between my dad's health and my oldest daughter. I admit that I can't fathom the big picture at all at the moment. Paradoxically, there has been great peace and joy in my growing closer to Him and I have received some very unexpected graces.

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

No comments: